eHost was a budget hosting brand that grew too fast from 2015-2016. Unfortunately they failed to scale their infrastructure and support staff to handle their rapid growth. This created an inconsistent customer experience. With so many refunds and cancellations, they couldn’t continue operation.
Since 2008, I’ve tested dozens of web hosting providers, with a focus on affordable, entry level plans under $10/month.
Very few companies have managed to grow to an Inc 500 size while maintaining high standards in performance, reliability and customer support AND keeping their pricing super competitive.
I recommend you check out BlueHost. They offer fast, reliable hosting with industry-leading customer support with a 30-day money back guarantee. If you don’t have a BlueHost account yet, use this link to get the special $3.95/month pricing.
In the past couple months, I’ve received an increasing number of negative reviews from frustrated eHost customers. This caused them to lose their high ratings in Support and Value categories of my review and rating system. Due to high negative feedback, I could not longer recommend eHost, period.
With that said, I don’t want to lose all the content on this page for SEO reasons, so I’m leaving the bulk of my original eHost review here below.
Since 2008, I’ve tested dozens of web hosting providers under $10/month. eHost provided a good hosting experience for me, but unfortunately they really went downhill in the past 3 months.
Here were a few good things about eHost in their prime (RIP):
- Affordable: eHost offers competitive pricing and frequent promotions/discounts (currently 50% off. Also, you get a discount if you pay for a longer plan up front.
- They also offered a 45-day money back guarantee. Quick story…I actually had to use the guarantee once already. You see, I accidentally made a typo in my domain name I signed up with, so I asked them to cancel and refund my purchase. I received the credit back on my Amex card within the same week, so that boosted my confidence in them. I’ve created two accounts since then for testing purposes.
- Free Domain Name For LIFE: Most hosting providers give you a free domain name only for the first year, and you have to pay $10-$20 per year after that. eHost’s unique offer gives you a FREE domain name for life. So with eHost, you won’t experience any surprise domain renewal fees.
- Flexible: They offer both cPanel hosting and an excellent drag-and-drop website builder that comes with over 1,000 templates that actually look fresh and current. Tip: If you sign up for a Website Builder account, and you decide you don’t want to use their Website Builder after all, just delete the site and contact their Billing Support telling them you want to switch your Website Builder account to cPanel. They’ll refund your original payment and then you can go back to your eHost account and sign up for the cPanel plan. They’re working on making it easier to switch in the future.
- Great value for money: When I compare eHost to others in the space, I can’t help but feel eHost offers premium value for money. Competitors would do well to update their website builders to be at least on par with eHost’s… Nobody has templates that look as good as eHost’s right now.
But I gotta be real with you.. Yes, I list positive things about eHost above. However, I always recommend you compare to other popular companies like BlueHost, iPage or HostGator. You can also see my review of iPage here, as well as my review of HostGator.
No product or service is perfect. The funny thing is, eHost is imperfect in some weird ways, as you’ll see below in my list of pros and cons…
- Free Domain For Life
- 45-Day Money Back Guarantee with no weird stipulations or hidden fees.
- $200 Free Advertising Credits
- Excellent Customer Support – even their live chat support (real people who actually help you)
- Offers cPanel Hosting and a great Website Builder
- No incoming domain transfers.
- You couldn’t preview their free templates before you signed up for an account. This makes no sense to me, as their templates looked great and more people would buy accounts if they could see before they buy.
- They specialized in shared hosting only. So if you are looking for high-end dedicated or VPS servers, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
- eHost stopped offering a monthly payment option on May 1st, 2016. Now they want you to pay for 1 year or more up front. If you prefer month-to-month payment with no contract, I recommend you check out HostGator as they offer month-to-month payment options on all their plans. I use HostGator for several of my sites, and I recommend them. Plus, they also offer a 45-day money back guarantee.
I contacted them in hope of getting more details on the promo, and was told they’re not 100% sure when it will end, but could be tomorrow, January 17th. So be sure to grab your eHost account by clicking here before January 17th, and hopefully the 50% discount offer is still available. I’ll update this section if anything changes.
Before we proceed… here’s the biggest FAQ I receive:
Q: Should I use eHost’s website builder or cPanel for my website?
A: I’ll admit, eHost’s website builder platform is impressive. It’s clean, has nice templates, and is easy to use. I just personally never use or recommend website builders. I wouldn’t tell my friends to use one.
In fact, I always recommend that my clients use WordPress. eHost’s cPanel hosting plan includes automatic WordPress setup, so with a few clicks, you have a basic WordPress site set up. The best thing about WordPress is that you can do anything with it.
It doesn’t matter if you want to…
- Sell physical products in an online shop
- Sell digital products
- Show off your art or music portfolio
- Launch your own marketing agency website
- Build a great website for a local business like a cafe, gym or restaurant
… I still recommend WordPress on cPanel hosting, because you can do all of these things relatively easily, most likely using all free plugins.
Compare that to any website builder platform… Website builders all restrict you to whatever features and capabilities they feel like offering you. Also, if you make a website on a website builder platform, and then you decide you wanna change hosts or migrate to some other platform, you can’t. It’s stuck there.
Thankfully eHost also runs promotions pretty often, so you’re likely to find one if you check eHost.com and see what discount is available. Last I checked, it is 50% off and that applies to both the website builder and the cPanel Hosting.back to menu ↑
A Tour Of Your eHost Account
So, when you login to your eHost account, and click “create a new site,” you will be given two options:
In the sections below, I’ve created walkthrough videos so you can see what the eHost platform looks like, how smoothly it works, and how to set up your site.
I’ll cover both types:
back to menu ↑
cPanel Hosting (I recommend you choose this instead of website builder)
The biggest concern when hosting a website for new owners is ease-of-use. When you sign up with any web hosting company, you want everything to be straight forward and easy. That’s why cPanel hosting is a great option.
One of the things I really like is that eHost has the cPanel option. Although it’s common in many hosting companies, there are those that don’t use it and that can be frustrating, especially for new users.
cPanel offers the most robust and organized control panel of all hosting platforms. The icons are easy to identify and most options are intuitive. This type of control panel works well with WordPress, HTML5 and can work to set up a website, store or just a simple blog. It’s here that you’ll find FTP that works with most web developing programs. It also offers MySQL options for CMS systems like Joomla or WordPress.
back to menu ↑
Easy, Modern Website Builder
You may have noticed that I’m a fan of iPage hosting. After all, HostingReviewBox started life as collection of tutorials for using their hosting.
Here’s the thing…
As you may have seen in my review of iPage, their hosting is popular and they have a solid business history. However, in 2015, iPage’s website builder is seriously outdated compared to eHost. I just can’t recommend iPage’s site builder after I tried eHost.
More and more people are using modern website builder platforms like eHost to create beautiful websites from scratch. I am not one of those people, and I still don’t recommend website builders. But here’s why they are popular for beginners…
What you see on the screen is what you get when you view your website, so there’s no guessing, doing something and hoping it works.
eHost’s website builder puts most others to shame. It’s an easy drag-and-drop web app that lets even the most inexperienced user create a website.
Below you can see a preview of the website builder on my own eHost test account.
Unlike competitors such as iPage, FatCow and others, eHost offers you the following unique benefits:
- eHost’s site builder comes with over 1,000 FREE templates.
- eHost’s templates are fresh and current with today’s web design and user experience trends.
Check out my video tour of eHost’s site builder in the quick, 10 minute video below:
Tip: I still stand by my strong recommendation that you choose cPanel hosting and use WordPress to make a great looking site with all the features you could ever need.
Now, let’s take a look at the other details about eHost’s offerings, terms, policies, and what makes them unique, etc…back to menu ↑
FREE Domain For Life?
eHost claims to offer a Free Domain name, just like most other hosting providers. But does that really mean free?
Most hosting companies offer the free domain name with your hosting package, but after your first year you usually get charged from between $15 to $20 to keep the domain name.
eHost offers you something unique: Your eHost account includes a FREE Domain for LIFE. Not for 1 year, not 5 years… for life.
Every plan has a free domain at eHost, at least for as long as you keep the service. If you do ever transfer your website to another hosting company, you will need to pay the appropriate fees to that new web hosting company of course.back to menu ↑
What Makes eHost Unique?
It’s clear that the eHost team knows their stuff, as the offer is a promising one. They focus on three key factors, important to every web master, large or small.
- Easy to use control panel
- Great support with 24 hour telephone support 7 days a week. Best of all, phone support is centered in Canada and U.S. which means you won’t get foreign support with accents that are difficult to understand.
- Website building features that make building any website easier for both the inexperienced and experienced user.
Every hosting package has one of the highest level of security available with 24 hour network monitoring. This is important for sites that need to keep personal information safe guarded; ideal for securing credit card data and personal information.
eHost has continual automated backup features for all servers. These run once a week but are only stored a week at a time. Even so, I don’t recommend relying solely on your hosting provider for backups. You should set up your own backups using a free WordPress plugin such as WP BackItUp.back to menu ↑
Uptime + Money Back Guarantees (yep that’s 2!)
- eHost has a 99.9% uptime guarantee. If you experience less than 99.9% uptime for your site, eHost offers you a one month account credit.
- 45-Day Money back Guarantee: It always makes me feel better when I get a money back guarantee from a hosting company, and eHost offers a solid 45-day money back guarantee. If you decide for any reason that eHost just isn’t for you, they’ll refund all your money back. No weird stipulations or hidden fees.
After years of reviewing web hosting providers, I feel that eHost is refreshing.
It’s nice to know that there is actually a company that follows through on their advertised promises. To sum it up…
- eHost gives you exactly what they offer.
- There are no hidden fees
- No “FREE” offers that aren’t really free.
- Most competitors force you to pay for 1, 2 or 3 years up front. eHost gives you discounts if you pay up front, however they also offer a monthly payment option. It really shows they’re confident you’ll love their service enough to remain a loyal customer.
So, if you are looking for a full-featured, easy to use web hosting service with no restrictions and real value, then this is the wisest choice you can make right now.
eHost offers normal hosting for any blog or online store, and you can choose to upload your own website files or choose to use the website builder with its more than 1,000 quality and well-designed templates.
ehost offers great value for the money with plans that start at
$5.50 $2.75 per month; and it’s a plan that includes the website builder, plus the FREE domain name for life. This means that eHost saves you about $20 a year on domain costs alone. That for me is a lot of value for a web hosting company.
In my opinion eHost is one of those few affordable hosting companies that goes above and beyond to give their customers a great experience.
P.S. Remember, their 45-day money-back guarantee is no-questions-asked, hassle-free, and there’s no weird “processing fees” like other hosts if you cancel. So you really can try eHost today, risk-free. You can click here to visit eHost.
P.P.S. I don’t know for sure when the 50% discount window will close, so be sure you don’t miss out. Last I heard, the sale ends sometime on January 22nd.
For more info and to order: http://www.eHost.com
eHost was a budget hosting brand that grew too fast from 2015-2016. Unfortunately they failed to scale their infrastructure and support staff to handle their rapid growth.